I must admit ever since my college days I have had a slight obsession with Costco. As much and I love it I also struggle because I do love to support local farms. I love the farmers market during the summer months, and I make it a point to regularly visit my local health food stores. I also however, am a girl on a budget. I’ve walked into health food stores and spent over $80.00 with only two bags of groceries not exactly budget friendly. As much as I love health food stores, I certainly don’t do all my shopping there. I go to at least two different grocery stores a week, it takes planning but I enjoy it.
There are different types of memberships you can at warehouse style stores, the cheapest one is about $35.00 and can save you hundreds, totally worth it. I buy one or two boxes of organic mixed greens a week at the health food store it’s about $7.99 a container at Costco the same brand and size is only 3.99. I hear people often say that it is expensive to buy healthy foods. Not if you do it right. It takes a little planning in the beginning but once you have it down, you will Costco: Healthy and Affordable a pro, and actually enjoy grocery shopping, because not only will you be getting the best for your buck, but you’ll be keep your family healthy. Stock your house with healthy foods, and you will eat it!
I’ve done a lot of the work for you and put together a list of some of my go-to buys at Costco. All healthy choices, that help me make the right choices throughout the week. Here are the top ten items I always get from Costco.
- Organic Chicken Breast comes with six chicken breast total, two in each pouch. Use them right away or store them in the freezer for future use.
2. Organic Ground Beef no hormones, no antibiotics and this also comes separated into three different packages, perfect to throw in the freezer. 3. Avocados filled with heart healthy monounsaturated fats, avocados are something I consume regularly. I put them on sprouted grain toast, or in a scramble, I also throw them on salads or eat them plain!
4. Earthbound Organic Mixed Greens this is by far my favorite deal at Costco. I love that I can get this for such a low price, and when you eat salads as much as I do it is worth it! Tip: when buying greens at Costco, check expiration dates. Get the container with the latest expiration date, so you know you are getting the freshest one.
5. Organic Kale What are you gonna do with all that kale? Make some no-stick-on-your-hips kale chips. This is a new development at my Costco. I about passed out when I saw a huge bag of organic, already chopped kale. I know kale has become quite popular in my “health food world” but you know something has gone mainstream when you see it at Costco. I was so excited I HAD to be with the baby kale in the photo 🙂 6. Unsweetened Almond Milk when I get almond milk I always get the unsweetened version. Sometimes they have vanilla sometimes its plain, either one works as long as there is no added sugar(read label to be sure). I love these in my smoothies, tea, steel cut oats, and it’s a great replacement for milk.
7. Organic Quinoa oh yes, I do love quinoa. Quinoa not only supplies you with protein but it is a complete protein(contains all nine essential amino acids) very unusual for a grain. If you’re a vegetarian, or meat eater looking to decrease your meat consumption but are worried about protein, this is your secret weapon. Use it in place of rice or cous-cous, you can even try it for breakfast! 8. Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds I throw these in every smoothie I make, sprinkle them on salads, or add them to steel cut oats. Hemp seeds do not have a distinct taste, so you can mix them in just about anything. They contain essential amino acids, and are high in Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids. 9. Pistachios my favorite kind of nut. If you not a pistachio fan, they have, cashews, almonds, peanuts etc. I try to get the unsalted kind but it isn’t always available. If you’re watching your salt intake make sure to check you labels! As an added bonus these are already shelled.
10. Organic Eggs if you follow my blog you know how much I love eggs. Not only are they a great way to start your day, but you can also hard boil them and keep them on hand for quick on the go snacks. Try out some egg recipes here.